published to August 9, 2018
All Marketplace plans are
like asthma, diabetes, cancer?
What are pre-existing conditions?
- A pre-existing condition is a health problem that existed prior to the start date of your new health coverage.
- Pre-existing conditions include epilepsy, cancer, diabetes, lupus, sleep apnea, and more.
Can my health insurance company deny me or charge me more because of my pre-existing condition?
- No. Insurance companies cannot deny enrollment, charge additional fees, or refuse to pay basic health insurance because of pre-coverage conditions.
- Additionally, Marketplace plans do not allow annual or lifetime limits on coverage.
- Click here for details Compensation for existing conditions.
Is pregnancy treated as an existing condition?
- yes. If you are pregnant prior to your application, we cannot refuse your enrollment or charge an additional fee based on your pregnancy.
- When you enroll, pregnancy and childbirth will be covered from the date of enrollment.
- Learn more about Coverage during pregnancy and childbirth.