In an interview Wednesday night, former President Donald Trump again claimed to have declassified federally seized records in Mar-a-Lago, saying there is no definitive document declassification process for the US head of state. said.
In an interview with Fox News’ Sean Hannity, Trump said an appeals court has ruled that the Justice Department has access to documents seized from the former president’s estate in Florida as part of a criminal investigation into the matter. He commented in an interview that aired shortly after.
The 45th president told Hannity the documents were declassified when he left the White House, but did not specify how.
“There doesn’t have to be a process. There can be a process, but it doesn’t have to exist,” Trump told a conservative news host. “You are the president, you make the decisions.”
“If you’re the president of the United States, you can declassify just by saying ‘Declassified.’ Think about it,” Trump told Sean Hannity.
The former president is under investigation by the Justice Department for allegedly taking classified records from the White House to Mar-a-Lago.
There was a pile of approximately 11,000 documents, dozens of which contained classified markings. Seized by the FBI in a raid At a Florida estate on Aug. 8.
“I have declassified everything,” Trump told Hannity Wednesday night.
At Tuesday’s hearing on the Justice Department lawsuit, Trump’s lawyers said: Refused to check if records were actually declassified by the former president.
In a court filing ahead of Tuesday’s hearing, Trump’s attorney suggested he did not want to answer questions about his declassified status.
FBI to Trump did not mention that he supposedly declassified the files The documents were treated “as if they were classified,” according to court documents uncovered earlier this month.
It was after the raid that the former president said he declassified them.