Russian attacks continue after ICC arrest warrant for Putin
The strikes on multiple fronts, including the capital Kiev and West Lviv province, will come hours after the ICC’s announcement.
Widespread attacks by Russia continue in Ukraine after the International Criminal Court’s ruling. decision Issue arrest warrants for Russian President Vladimir Putin and the Russian Commissioner for Children’s Rights.
The Ukrainian Air Force said early Saturday that Ukraine was attacked by 16 Russian drones on Friday night.
Air Force Command told Telegram that 11 of the 16 drones had been shot down “in the central, western and eastern regions.”
Areas targeted included the capital Kiev and western Lviv.
Kiev city chief executive Serhiy Popko said Ukrainian air defenses had shot down all drones heading for the Ukrainian capital, while Lviv regional governor Maksim Kozytsky said on Saturday that six of the drones had been shot down. Three of them were shot down and the other three hit adjacent areas, it said. Poland.
The Ukrainian Air Force said the attack came from the eastern coast of the Sea of Azov and Russia’s Bryansk region, which borders Ukraine.
The Ukrainian military added in its regular update on Saturday morning that Russian forces had carried out 34 airstrikes, one missile attack and 57 anti-aircraft fire in the past 24 hours.
Falling debris hit southern Kherson province, damaging seven houses and a kindergarten, according to a Facebook update.
Donetsk Governor Pablo Kirilenko said 11 towns and villages in the province were shelled on Friday, killing one person and wounding three others.
Further west, Russian rockets hit a residential area in the city of Zaporizhia, the capital of the partially occupied province of the same name, overnight on Friday.
Zaporizhia city council member Anatoly Kultev said no casualties were reported, but houses were damaged and catering establishments were destroyed.
The International Criminal Court announced on Friday that it had issued an arrest warrant for Putin for war crimes. blame him With Maria Libova Belova, Russian Commissioner for Children’s Rights, on her personal responsibility for the abduction of children from Ukraine.
This is the first time a global court has ruled. warrant To the leader of one of the five permanent members of the United Nations Security Council.
The move was quickly dismissed by Moscow and hailed by Ukraine as a major breakthrough.
However, since Moscow does not recognize the jurisdiction of the courts and does not extradite its own citizens, the chances of Putin being tried before the ICC are very low, so its practical impact will be limited. There is a possibility.
A British military official said on Saturday that Russia is likely to expand conscription. The UK Defense Ministry said in its latest update that members of the Russian House of Representatives, the lower house of the Russian parliament, introduced a bill on Monday to change the conscription age for men from 27 to 21 to 30 from the current 18. .
According to the ministry, at present, many men between the ages of 18 and 21 are applying for exemption from military service because they have higher education. This change ultimately means that we must continue to serve. The law has been passed and will likely come into force in January 2024, he said.