World News

Man found in ‘miracle’ rescue 17 days after China quake – Times of India

BEIJING: A Chinese worker lost in the mountains has been rescued 17 days after caring for an injured colleague after a deadly earthquake.
A magnitude-6.6 earthquake struck southwestern Sichuan province earlier this month, killing at least 93 people and forcing thousands to be resettled in temporary camps.
go Yu, an employee of the Wandong Hydropower Plant in Sichuan province, was found alive by China State Radio, a local villager, on Wednesday but injured (CNRMore) called the rescue a “miracle of life.”
Gunn was working with a colleague Luo Yong and I stayed on Sept. 5, the day the earthquake struck, to provide first aid to an injured colleague and to release water from the dam to prevent flooding.
They attempted to leave the remote power station and walked about 20 kilometers (12 miles).
But Gunn, who is severely nearsighted, lost his glasses during the earthquake and was having trouble navigating mountainous terrain, CNR said.
The two men desperately tried to signal help to rescuers far away.
“We took off our clothes, hooked them to tree branches and swung them around,” Luo told CNR.
They eventually decide that Gan should be left alone while Luo seeks help.
Luo helped Gan build a bed of moss and bamboo leaves and left him some wild fruits and bamboo shoots to eat before the two men parted.
Luo was found by rescuers after using fire to draw the attention of helicopters on Sept. 8, but by the time Gunn’s temporary shelter was found on Sept. 11, he had been killed. has disappeared.
Finding only discarded clothing and footprints, rescuers feared that Gunn had collapsed from hypothermia.
Earlier this week, local farmers Ni Taigao Return to the village at the foot of the mountain where the power plant is located and listen to the story of the gun hunt.
The villagers used their local knowledge to join the search Wednesday morning. After just two hours of trekking, he heard the faint cries of geese and soon found him lying under some trees.
Gunn, who was taken to a nearby hospital on Wednesday, was found to have suffered multiple broken bones, according to official broadcasts. CCTV.
CCTV footage showed a shivering and emaciated Gunn confirming his name and cautiously eating a snack provided by the rescue team.

Source link

Show More

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Back to top button