World News

Imran Khan marks court appearances as supporters of former Pakistani leader clash with police. CNN

Islamabad, Pakistan

Former Pakistani Prime Minister Imran Khan appeared in a highly anticipated court hearing in the capital Islamabad on Saturday after completing scheduled proceedings.

As Khan tried to enter the capital’s High Court, clashes broke out between Khan’s supporters and the police. Clashes also broke out in Lahore city.

A warrant for Khan’s arrest was issued on Monday, requiring him to appear in court on Saturday. All arrest warrants for Khan were suspended on Friday after he promised to appear in court after his week of clashes across the country.

On Saturday, the capital’s authorities imposed an order making gatherings of four or more people illegal. Khan left the city of Lahore early Saturday morning and drove to Islamabad. He traveled with a motorcade of hundreds of supporters.

Due to Khan’s appearance on the outskirts of the capital, a heavily guarded judicial complex was allocated and hundreds of riot police were deployed in the area. said Khan’s supporters began “throwing stones at the police”, who responded with tear gas.

Khan emerged after waiting five hours to enter the judicial complex.

In an audio message Khan sent to journalists, Khan said he was “waiting outside.” [judicial complex’s] The door” and was “completely trying to get in”, but it looks like he “doesn’t want” to appear in court as the police use tear gas.

Separately, in Lahore city, Khan’s residence was raided by police and a camp set up by Imran Khan’s supporters was bulldozed. Interior Minister Rana Sanaura said at a press conference that the police operation at Khan’s home was done to “clear the exclusion zone” and “arrest the thugs hiding inside”.

Khan’s team claimed that only Khan’s wife and house staff were inside the residence when the attack took place.

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button