published to January 28, 2021
Tax return season has arrived. If you were on Marketplace in 2020, follow these steps to prepare.
1. Be careful Form 1095-A
- 1095-A contains information about Marketplace plans someone in your household had in 2020.
- It will be mailed to you by Marketplace (not the IRS) by early February. You can also get it earlier through your HealthCare.gov account.
2. Make sure your Form 1095-A is correct
- Please read the notes on the back carefully. Please confirm whether the household, coverage details, “,” and monthly insurance premiums are correct.
- If you find any errors, Contact the Marketplace Call Center. We will send you an update. Wait to file until you have it.
- If it’s correct and you’re not ready to submit it, keep it in a safe place.
3. Once the file is ready, “align” it with the correct Form 1095-A
- Using accurate 1095-A form information, Part II of Form 8962 (PDF, 110KB).
- The table on this page explains how to “adjust”.
- The difference between the amount of premium tax credits you have pre-used for the year and the amount of premium tax credits you are actually entitled to will affect the amount of tax refunded or payable.