published to April 2, 2014
Now that millions of Americans have joined the press, we need to learn how to use it.
Here are some steps you can take now to ensure your health care is available once your insurance coverage starts. Click the links below to learn how to verify your insurance company enrollment, fill out a prescription, get care when and where you need it, and how to appeal an insurance company’s decision. .
- Make sure you are covered. If you think you have health insurance but have not heard from your insurance company, we can help you find out if you have insurance. After enrolling in the plan, Pay your first premium directly to your insurance company – Not a health insurance marketplace®.
- Get your prescriptions with your new plan. Health insurance can help pay for certain prescription drugs. We can help you find out if your prescription is covered.
- Get medical care and find a doctor. Most health plans offer the best deals when you see a doctor who is “in-network” with your health plan. We can help you find a doctor or other healthcare provider for your new plan.
- Get emergency medical attention. In an emergency, you should get treatment from the nearest hospital that can help you. That hospital will treat you regardless of whether you have insurance or not. Your insurance company cannot charge you any more to get emergency room service at an “out-of-network” hospital.
- Use your new coverage to improve your health. Now that you have health insurance, learn what you can do to stay healthy and get the care you need.
- Appeal a health insurance decision. If your health insurance company does not pay for a particular provider or service, you have the right to appeal its decision and have it reviewed by an independent third party. We will guide you through the process.
If you have any questions about the new marketplace coverage, please contact your insurer directly. Or call 1-800-318-2596 (TTY: 1-855-889-4325). If you need assistance, our trained representatives are available 24/7 at her Marketplace Call Her Center.