published to January 16, 2020
Note: The 2019 tax return season has begun. Here’s what you can do now to prepare.
Three steps to prepare your 2019 tax return:
Look for Form 1095-A.
- If you or someone in your household has a 2019 Marketplace Plan, Form 1095-A, Health Insurance Marketplace® statement mailed by early February. Obtained from the Marketplace, not the IRS.
- It may also be available online through your HealthCare.gov account.
Check your Form 1095-A for accuracy.
- Using Form 1095-A, “Reconcile” If you used a premium tax credit advance to reduce your monthly premium payments, it is important that your premium tax credit information is correct. If you submitted the wrong version, you may need to file an amended return later.
- Please check the coverage details, household information, monthly insurance premiums, etc.
- If you find any errors, Please contact the Marketplace Call Center. We will send you an update. Wait to file until you have it.
“Adjust” with the correct 1095-A.
- Now that you have your exact 1095-A and the second lowest cost Silver Plan Premium, you are ready to fill out Form 8962, Premium Tax Credit.
- see this A step-by-step guide to reconciliation for the next step.