Dundee United 1-1 St Mirren: Stephen Fletcher scored but St Mirren fought back to score a point at Tannadice

Dundee United and St Mirren finished in a 1-1 draw at Tannadice.

The hosts took an early lead through striker Stephen Fletcher, but St Mirren equalized after the break thanks to a Mark O’Hara penalty.

United had a shot in stoppage time but were unable to find a winner.

The result left Tangerines in last place, but two points behind Ross County, and St. Mirren dropped to seventh.

United got off to a dream start, with Fletcher opening the scoring after just three minutes when St Mirren defender Richard Taylor headed clear.

Dundee United’s Stephen Fletcher scores a goal to celebrate the 1-0 win

The host’s tail lifted and Aziz Behic tried his luck with a bold 25-yard shot that went just past Carson’s left-hand post.

St Mirren were unable to put pressure on their home goal and were struggling to recover from an early goal robbery.

Curtis Main found space in United’s box in the 24th minute, but his shot hit keeper Mark Biligitti.

It put sustained pressure on the buddies but failed to create any clear opportunities.

Instead, it was the hosts who were presented with the opening when Jamie McGrath swung a corner from the right and the ball fell to Fletcher, but the former Scottish striker could only send a close-range shot over the bar. I could not do it.

In the 56th minute, Greg Kiltie delivered a cross to a looming O’Hara from the right, but the St Mirren skipper’s goalbound shot was blocked by Ryan Edwards.

St Mirren slammed the ball into the net shortly afterward, but Taylor’s header was ruled offside and confirmed by VAR.

However, St Mirren equalized in the 74th minute. Main was down in United’s box following a challenge from Loik Aina, referee Craig Napier pointed to a spot and O’Hara stepped up to score a penalty down the middle past a diving Birigitti.

DUNDEE, SCOTLAND - MARCH 18: St Mirren's Mark O'Hara makes it during the Cinch premiership match between Dundee United and St Mirren at Tannadice on March 18, 2023 in Dundee, Scotland Celebrating his goal of making the 1:1 (Photo by Euan Cherry/SNS Group)
St Mirren’s Mark O’Hara celebrates after the 1-1 goal at Tannadice

The home side had a golden opportunity to take the lead again shortly after, but Behic shot into the back post.

Kai Fotheringham, a home substitute, had a chance for glory in the second half of stoppage time, but his shot hit the post for United, with Carson hitting Matthew Cajor and Ilmari Niskanen slamming the rebound into the stands. .

what’s next?

Dundee United Return to Scottish Premiership Action after International Breakaway Rangers April 1st.

St Mirren stay at home Livingstone On the same day. Both games kick off at 3pm.

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button