published to January 3, 2019
For most people, the 2019 health insurance deadline has passed. However, there are two ways he can still get coverage for 2019.
Through Medicaid or the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP)
- Provides free or low-cost health insurance to millions of Americans, including some low-income individuals, families and children, pregnant women, the elderly, and the disabled.
- If you qualify, you can start coverage immediately any time of the year. Medicaid and CHIP do not have an open enrollment period.
- Learn more about Medicaid and CHIP, including how to apply.
Through the special admission period
- Outside of open enrollment, you may qualify if you have certain life events, such as losing health insurance, moving house, getting married, having a baby, or being adopted.
- If you are eligible, you can generally change your registration or plan within 60 days of the event.
- Not sure if your life event qualifies you? Just answer a few simple questions to find out.