Just Stop Oil protesters broke into the track at the start of last year’s British Grand Prix. The race had already been red flagged after Zhou Guanyu, George Russell and Alex Albon had a big crash at the first corner.
Last updated: 25/01/23 1:35pm
Just Stop Oil protesters broke into the track during last year’s British Grand Prix, posing an “imminent risk of serious harm” to Formula 1 drivers and race marshals, prosecutors said.
A Northampton Criminal Court jury was shown footage from inside a car of drivers Yuki Tsunoda and Esteban Ocon passing three men and two women who had been dragged off sitting on Silverstone’s Wellington Straight last July. rice field.
A video recorded of Lewis Hamilton’s car passing protesters just before the truck break-in was also shown during the Crown’s opening speech.
David Baldwin, 47, Emily Brocklebank, 24, Alasdair Gibson, 22, Lewis McKennie, 22, Bethany Moggy, 40, and Joshua Smith, 29, all died last July. Denies public nuisance at the Northamptonshire circuit.
Brocklebank, or Yeadon, Leeds. Gibson from Aberdeen. Moggy from St Albans. McKennie from Manchester. Smith, from Leeds, Oldham, took to the race circuit during the protests.
Baldwin of Stonesfield, Oxfordshire, was found in a parking lot with glue, cable ties and a Just Stop Oil banner, and the crown is said to have been “with” his co-defendant.
Prosecutor Simon Jones opened charges on Wednesday and told the court: “This case involves the actions of six Just Stop Oil protesters.
“The prosecution has said these defendants have committed a criminal offense of public indecency. As the case unfolded, the F1 Grand Prix was launched and was brought under red flags after the first serious accident. rice field.”
“Each of these defendants was present at Silverstone and was intent on disrupting the race.
“It is undisputed that five of the defendants in this case (all but David Baldwin) were on the racetrack but were not authorized to be there.
“There was no discussion about it and they sat in front of the car in progress, an F1 motor racing car.
“They will inevitably say this was done as a protest, and they will say it was done to promote their claim and demand that there be no new oil and gas licenses.”
Video footage from various camera angles covering Silverstone was played to the jury, and personal video statements of the five defendants, recorded the day before the protest, said that the world is a “few people.” It contained the claim that it is being destroyed for the benefit of .
Before the edited video was shown in court, Jones told a jury of seven women and five men:
“Then you will see two Formula 1 racing cars drive past the protesters… meanwhile the five defendants were on the track.
“You’ll see marshals have to go out on the track and drag protesters aside.
“Prosecutors say there was clearly an imminent risk of serious harm being caused. Clearly, they could have been hit by a fast-moving vehicle, with apparently serious consequences.
“We say their actions also put the drivers themselves and the marshals at risk.”